Monday, July 1, 2019

This might be...


...the happiest time of my life.

The moments shared with sweet Eden while witnessing my amazing Everest blossom into the big brother he was always meant to be and our family grow into what I've always wanted are times I truly want to bottle and carry with me always. I've been given a partner who has my back and gives me confidence to weather the ups and downs of a growing family. I've been given a 5-year-old who is as in love with his baby sister as I am. I've been given a newborn who I am in sync with...nursing, sleeping, anticipating her needs...(all of which is that much sweeter because I had an extremely challenging postpartum with my first). And while I know it won't always be heavenly (and likely will change tomorrow), all of this has given me the foundation and strength to face the challenging moments with calm.

Watching Everest with Eden has been nothing short of the purest form of love a mother could wish for.  I hope that when I'm 106 and nearing death's door these moments of Everest rushing to comfort baby Eden, or Everest beaming with pride as she wiggles in his arms, or Everest leaping into our room each morning to kiss and snuggle next to Eden will rush into my mind's eye and I'll experience this pure joy yet again.

There is a presence of mind reserved only for new mothers...when everything in the world melts into the background and one-time stresses fade into trivial matters. The slow pace and care-not for punctuality or perfection takes hold as you stare into your newborn's wide eyes and breathe in her sweet smell. It's in these precious times, these fleeting moments of something new and awe-inspiring yet timeless and comfortable, that you know pure happiness exists.  

There is only now...and now is my darling Everest and Eden...and my now is everything.









No comments:

Post a Comment