Saturday, February 25, 2012

A window closes and a door opens.

I was just this week lamenting the fact that Holy Basil, one of our favorite neighborhood Thai spots, good for dine in or delivery, suddenly closed. But on the heels of one departure, a new and improved Thai option has emerged mere blocks away.

Ngam is creating self-described "modern interpretations of classic Thai comfort food" and to me it's just that. Nothing feels more comforting than a heaping bowl of fresh Pad Thai or more warming than a curry with rice, and the entrees at Ngam are among the best I've had. The modern twist offers a refreshing take on dishes that to many people have become common or generic. It takes a lot for a Thai restaurant to distinguish itself and recently there have been several glowing beacons standing out among the pack (Ngam being one but also check out Kin Shop and Lotus NY, incidentally check back soon for posts about those as well).

Speaking of the dishes that make Ngam such a breath of fresh air, the Winter Squash Curry with red “Kang Dang” curry paste, basil, sweet squash and soft tofu was truly memorable. The familiar Pad Thai came will a subtle yet noticeable spice that left me wanting more bite after bite. And the sides are original yet current enough to include “Prik KhingBrussel Sprouts and Bacon, yum!

I suppose the takeaway from my recent meals at Ngam reminds me of the Marylin Monroe quote (she no doubt intended it for men but I'm applying it to restaurants); sometimes good things fall apart to make room for better things to fall together. And to that end I'll say; sorry to see you go, Holy Basil but thanks for falling together Ngam!



Ngam
99 Third Avenue @ 12th Street

No comments:

Post a Comment