Sunday, August 21, 2011

DONUTS! with Mussels?

Three words: Salted Caramel Donuts!!!!! Oh yeah, they have mussels too. Sounds strange I know but we went to Flex Mussels exclusively to have these incredibly perfect, light little, sweetly flavor-filled, pillowy donuts. I first tried "Just Dessert" Top Chef's Zac Young's donuts when they were at a pop up shop in Grand Central and from the moment I bit into the sugary, cinnamon salty sweet delicacy I knew that once was not going to be enough for a lifetime. So when I learned that the man behind these donuts was the exclusive pastry chef at Flex Mussels I figured "hey, I like mussels and for those donuts I'll do anything." And while the mussels were excellent and they had so many variations, at the end of the day the donuts were the thing!

After rushing our way through the dinner portion of the evening we were on to the main event. We ordered a platter of the delectable fried deliciousness. There were so many flavors to choose from--wild blueberry, meyer lemon, cinnamon sugar, salted caramel, Fluffernutter, PB&J, praline or chocolate--I opted for salted caramel and chocolate. The chocolate donut was like a molten sweet circle of love and the salted caramel donut was the closest I'll ever get to perfect in my mouth.

In case you haven't caught on these donuts are amazing. And i won't be satisfied until everyone I love has tasted one. so what are you waiting for!?! and oh yea since you're there, the mussels are good too.

Flex Mussels
154 West 13th @ 7th Ave
174 East 82nd @ 3rd Ave


1 comment:

  1. this sounds wonderful. weird. delicious. Thanks for finding it and sharing it with us all. Another reason to love NYC - it's never afraid to try new things!

    ReplyDelete