Sunday, September 25, 2011

Scarpetta: Italian Food for Non-Italian Food lovers

I realize that I am somewhat of an oddity because I don't love love love Italian food. And I know that for many people a heaping plate of pasta, a nice glass of chianti and lots and lots of bread dipped in olive oil is all they need for a happy night. But while that isn't my idea of a particularly exciting or fully satisfying meal it doesn't mean I can't appreciate an incredible Italian experience when it's upon me...and having eaten at Scarpetta several times now I can say this is the place to enjoy Italian food.

Scarpetta is an incredible blend of elegant, chic comfort and freshly perfected Italian craftsmanship. And that sensibility shines through in every dish. They worship fresh ingredients and treat those ingredients with the respect and attention needed. Dishes are not over-seasoned; you can look at the plate and practically see every ingredient in the dish. And that is what makes them perfect in their simplicity.

To begin, the Raw Yellowtail drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with flaked pink sea salt is so fresh and sweet and good you might wonder why every meal isn't this uncomplicated and delicious. If only every Italian restaurant would stop wasting ingredients and resolve to serve basic, high quality food; letting their fresh flavors shine through.

Next comes the Pièce de résistance or as my mother refers to it "the dish that Jay-Z and Beyonce eat when they come here"...anyway, it is quite possibly the simplest of all the dishes on the menu: Spaghetti, tomato & basil. That's it. Three ingredients. End of story, goodnight.

Just kidding. The Spaghetti at Scarpetta is just so damn good. And it is only three ingredients. But those ingredients are the best versions of themselves and proportioned in a way that bite after bite you will find yourself ascending an ethereal food coma. If I'm not overstating it enough--simplicity is near perfection! And Scarpetta is the closest I've come to a perfect Italian meal. Goodnight (for real).

Scarpetta
355 West 14th Street @ 9th Ave
New York, NY

1 comment: