Monday, June 4, 2012

Love for Locanda Verde...just don't call it brunch.

I'm not a fan of brunch. In fact, I just don't understand the appeal of the whole thing. Wake up early, presumably hung over, go battle with other equally bleary eyed and hungry crankies only to wait an hour for a table that was supposed to be ready 20 minutes ago, and once seated sip watered down, high calorie cocktails while the chef grits his teeth because he presumably had to get up even earlier and probably even more hung over. Whoa. I just worked myself up quite a bit. And over what? A meal that is trying to find it's place between breakfast and lunch. I'm sorry. Brunch can be great...

And when I do find my self up-and-at-em before noon on a Sunday the first place I want to find myself is Locanda Verde. Fact is I'd be happy to find myself there for any meal but they seem to be doing something extra special for 'brunch' and who am I to argue with excellence.

I recommend beginning with an order of the Sheep’s Milk Ricotta for the table; the creamy and light cheese is sweetly complimented by truffle honey and rosemary atop sweet and crunchy burnt orange toast. Yum. For the brunch-inclined the roasted Zucchini Frittata with tomato, goat cheese and basil is the best version of a brunch frittata I've had. The light and airy lemon Ricotta Pancakes with
blueberries and meyer lemon curd are fluffy and delicately sweet. For the ones amongst us who really don't like brunch any of the more traditional menu items like Steak Tartare with hazelnuts, truffles and crispy guanciale or one of the sophisticated and hearty pastas or sandwiches should do the trick.

The vibe at LV feels like rustic country house meets Tribecca artist loft. The tall windows, high ceilings and immaculate open kitchen invites you in, wakes you up and welcomes you to the day. The friendly staff, variety of pastries and milk types (I always appreciate a restaurant that caters to the skim, soy, and other type of milk drinkers) and the excellent food could turn even the staunchest anti-bruncher among us into a believer. And dare I say, it may have gotten to me. Because after a few brunches at Locanda Verde, I think I'll be getting up bright eyed to be there at noon next week.

Locanda Verde
377 Greenwich St
(corner of N.Moore and Greenwich)

No comments:

Post a Comment