Monday, August 8, 2011

Is Ippudo worth the wait?

Short answer yes with an if.

If you're like every other Asian-food-loving downtown New Yorker you have undoubtedly waited at least an hour for ramen at Ippudo. But why? There are at least 5 other ramen places within a few blocks. Still people clamor for a seat and a spoon at this Japanese import.

Rather than try to dissect what about Ippudo makes it rise above the others I'd like to mention that as I write this a craving so strong is beginning to sweep over me that I'm tempted to drop what I'm doing, get up from my desk and walk, nay run to the 4th avenue establishment....and I just ate lunch. And thus explains the hubbub at Ippudo...it's strangely addictive. Now I'm not suggesting that they're putting nicotine type narcotics in their broth but all I can say is I am suddenly am having the strongest hankering for some hot noodle soup--and it's August for Christ's sake. So the short answer is yes Ippudo is worth the wait if you are overcome with a super strong ramen craving and you go knowing full well you might be in for the long haul.

Honorable mention needs to go to the Momofuko Noodle Bar just a few blocks east. Often commands a similar wait and crowd but I think the menu beyond the ramen is the star at MNB (do you like the acronym i just made up). If you're simply looking for that perfect ramen zazuto (Japanese for the polite slurping sound eating ramen makes) then Ippudo is worth the wait.

Ps- I would be remiss if I didnt mention the pork buns at both restaurants and you would be too if you don't start the night with an order.


Ippudo
65 Fourth Avenue (Between 9th & 10th Street)

Honorable Mention:
Momofuko Noodle Bar
171 1st Avenue (between 10th & 11th Street)

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely! There must be something addictive in there.

    ReplyDelete