Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Why did Robataya take the onion off the menu?

I love Robataya. It feels exactly how I envision a countryside Japanese farmhouse restaurant (and I hope to find out for real this time next year). But my favorite thing on the menu, quite possibly the most simple yet well executed dish--a thick-sliced grilled white onion--has mysteriously been taken off the menu. And I can't figure out why. Surely it wasn't cost prohibitive. Hell I could pick one up for a few pennies at the corner bodega on my way in next time. And every time I've been in recently I make a point to ask in a sweet and surprised voice "where's the onion!?!" --it's my desperate attempt at a passive aggressive protest in hopes that the wait staff will confer and conclude that "gee, people keep asking for the onion! We should bring it back!". Anyway, I still love it there and would recommend it onion or not.

Sitting at the bar is cozy and entertaining at the same time and the ordering possibilities are endless. I always light up like a 5 year old when the grill master literally leaps from his perch surrounded by fresh vegetables, fish and meats in order to pluck a distant mushroom and delicately place it on the grill-top before ultimately delivering it to you via long wooden paddle. It's quite a spectacle and sounds unbelievable but it's really happening at this hidden gem on 9th Street.

I recommend anything from the grilled section--because there isn't anything better than fresh grilled veggies or Japanese meats/fish lightly seasoned with high quality salt. Off the cooked menu we love Kamameshi with Salmon & Salmon Roe (a glorious pot of Japanese rice slow cooked with fish and served family style). If you like Uni (and if you don't, you should) I recommend trying the grilled Uni--it really changes the taste and texture and even if raw is better, grilled is a great food experience to have. It's amazing how simple preparations can be so delicious when done with high quality ingredients and respect for the subject.

Robataya
231 East 9th St. btw 2/3 Ave

1 comment:

  1. i loved the onion there! why did they take it away?
    robotaya if you are reading this, bring back the onion

    ReplyDelete