Monday, September 19, 2011

In the mood for Mexican?

It's a rare occasion when I find myself really in the mood for Mexican. It's not that I don't enjoy a good margarita with guac & chips, it's just that the cuisine itself doesn't often leave me that satisfied...culinarily.

But when the mood does strike me (as I'd say it does strongly about thrice a year) there are a few places that meet my high standards for quality Mexican. Recently I had the opportunity to visit two of said establishments.

Mercadito is a great East Village spot--seemingly very small from the street but enter the back room and you'll feel like you've been transported to a Mexican Hacienda smack in the middle of the city. Mercadito has an impressive selection of adorable, little, fun-for-sharing tacos with ingredients such as ancho rubbed pork with grilled pineapple, sauteed tilapia with grilled corn & manchego or chicken with sweet plantains. And who could forget the excellent variety of the guacamole (chunky with fruit or freshly smoked, yum!). But my personal favorite are the ceviches and wouldn't you know it you can order a "sampler" and get 3 at once! The tiny scallops with strawberries, key lime-habanero broth and mint! The mahi-mahi with avacado, tomato and orange-chile! The octopus, shrimp, jicama and orange! Yum Yum Yum! The ceviches are so good they have me rethinking my 3 times a year Mexican fix.

For the times I find myself wandering the West Village and the Mexican food craving hits, I really enjoy the new hot spot, Empellon. Empellon is the love child of Alex Stupak, former pastry chef from WD~50 and Alinea, who apparently is equally adept at making tacos as he is making avant garde desserts. In this setting you'll find the crowd is a little fancier and so is the food. The guacamole is creamy not chunky and the cocktails have fancy oak aged Reposado tequila. But the tacos, oh the tacos. My personal favorite is the sweet Scallops with cauliflower, capers and raisins. The Skirt Steak with olive oil, lime and toasted garlic was a hit at the table too. And who could forget the sides--the Refried Black Beans with a spicy habanero kick and the Sweet Plantains were delicious.

After dining at these two fantastic Mexican restaurants I think my cravings are gonna be coming a little more frequently...

No comments:

Post a Comment