Tuesday, May 15, 2012

La La Land Getaway

Ordinarily when I think about Los Angeles visions of Alvy Singer postulating about how the only 'cultural advantage [to LA] is that you can make a right turn on a red light' or that defensive knee jerk reaction a native New Yorker gets when someone suggest West coast living is preferable. But recently LA has meant sunshine and fabulous sushi dinners since my husband's job has brought him West for some extended trips. And I've had the good fortune to tag along.

I want to begin by reiterating that I love New York. My heart and soul live in the gritty, sophisticated, cultural Mecca where I reside approximately 320 days a year, give or take a few for vacations, weddings and other out of town functions. But when I find myself so far out of town that the zip code begins with 90--- I sometimes have to remind myself why I love New York as much as I do. With all the sunshine and fine sushi and healthy looking youthful free spirited people it's easy to understand why people are drawn West. I mean my goodness, the gym near our hotel was like a celebrity and toned, tan people convention.

But almost more of a draw for me than the weather and the smiling silicon faces is the culinary scene happening in LA. There are literally infinite unmarked, unassuming sushi spots serving some of the best fish state-side. And some incredible chef's are taking advantage of the proximity to the ocean and year-round fresh produce in addition to the healthy lifestyle and plethora of big bank accounts in the area. All of these things have created the perfect storm of a fine-dining/sushi-loving community.



Sasabune. The original "Just Trust Us" place. Also known as the "No California roll, no spicy tuna, no tempora" place. Set in a non-descript office plaza, this no frills establishments is serving anything but basic sushi. When they say just trust us, they mean it. Eat what they give you, only use sauce when instructed and sit back and enjoy for the ride. It will be worth it.

Hiko. Another very unassuming strip mall sushi-spot. The ambiance is taco stand meets mall sushi counter but the fish is incredible. The pieces were unique and deliberately selected. I'm not usually blown away by tuna but the Albacore and Toro Chef Hiko was serving were some of the most buttery, melt-in-your mouth things I've ever tasted. The Catalina Uni tasted like what I imagine ocean-flavored ice cream. The Ikura (Salmon Roe) were crisp, fresh and like little bursts of flavor.





Sushi Park. This unassuming yet "in-the-know" sushi spot is also in a strip mall serving omakase only. The fish is quite possibly some of the best I have ever tasted; each little jewel-like bite is unbelievably delicious. The buttery consistency and sweet salt-water flavor bursting forth will weaken your knees. The plates arrive quickly but you still have time to appreciate their artful splendor. It would be hard to narrow a favorite of the evening but among the stand-outs were the Toro, Orange Razor Clam, Scallop, Uni, and Unagi Eel.


Hatfield's (bonus, non-sushi). Michelin starred and named one of LA's Best New Restaurant, this husband & wife chef/pastry chef team is creating a special dining experience. The warm and open restaurant as well as the varied and flexible menu allows one to dine the way they want to. Mix and match items off of tasting menus or do the Prix-Fix. The food is elegantly rustic and made merely steps from your table in a lovely open kitchen. We loved all the appetizers, including their decadent and signature Croque Madame and the Salmon entree was perfectly cooked.



Finally, worthy of it's own post...check back soon for my musings on the fabulous cocktails and fanciful modern food at The Bazaar at SLS Hotel.

After our culinary whirlwind in LA and now that I'm back in overcast NYC...I find myself questioning my die-hard East Coast lifestyle. Maybe a little LA getaway is better than I (or Alvy Singer) originally thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment