Monday, August 8, 2011

Sushi, sushi, sushi...specifically 15 East

My reason for living. Well not including my husband, family, friends and dog. But otherwise i think sushi is it.

It's hard to talk about sushi and my love of it without talking about the place that started it all...15 East. (Well, really LAN Sushi started it all but it met its untimely demise a few years ago and 15 East took over the #1 spot in my heart.)

I'll admit that I've been frequenting this establishment less since they made some major staff reshuffling but overall they are consistently excellent. Walk into this sparse, minimalist, elegant space and there isn't much to focus on other than the fish. I recommend to go full speed ahead with the Chef's Omakasa (tasting menu) and if you are lucky enough on a Thursday or Friday, having the LIVE Uni is a must! it comes to your table tentacles wiggling but its erupts in your mouth like sweet sea water and spring time.

Also, Chef Masato is a big sweetheart and if you become brave enough ask for his "must visit list" for Tokyo restaurants. As soon as we book our trip to Japan, I'm checking off every one on his list!

Check back later for my musings on all the other greats...Sushi Yesuda, Kanoyama, Sasabune, Sushi Ann, Sushi Zen, Ushiwakamura, Bond St., Sushi UO, Jewel Bako and others.

And if you're wondering why Sushi Samba or Haru aren't on this list, stop reading this blog immediately.

15 East
15 East 15th Street
NYC

5 comments: