Monday, October 3, 2011

An homage to (and suggestions to replace) the dearly departed - Gonzo

If you're like me you've undoubtedly watched some of your favorite neighborhood restaurants come and go with little to no fanfare. Well enough! Respect needs to be paid. And alternatives need to be brought to light. Because over the years we've lost some greats. And I'm tired of pining for places that no longer exist.

Vincent Scotto of Gonzo did things with thin crust pizza that I've never seen before. Taking eight ounces of dough and spreading it out to the size of a small table then covering it with unique ingredients such as curried cauliflower, sweet onions, spiced goat cheese and cumin. This was the perfect neighborhood restaurant and I frequented it as much for the ambiance and wine list as for the food which was consistently great. So I was surprised and saddened to see it boarded up one day while walking the pup; I was even sadder to hear that it closed because Chef Scotto died of a heart attack at the young age of 39. Tragedy for us all...and I'm yet to find a suitable replacement. I've heard that Gonzo sibling restaurant Scotto's pizza is very similar but I'm yet to sample it so can't fully endorse it.

But in the interest of life goes on it's time for me to go on too and find a surrogate for this thin crust mecca. While it might not be exactly the same type of pie I've been taking great solace at Motorino East Village. I've found that this Neapolitan style pizza is delicious and even though I favor the classic Margherita pie, having toppings like Brussel Sprouts & Pancetta or Stone Clams & Parsley Butter really helps get through the loss of Gonzo.

The Dearly Departed posts will be continued with other recommendation to fill the void in all our hearts left by the closing of LAN, Share, 9th Street Market, Harbour, Irving Mill and Kitchen Club to name a few. Feel free to send condolences or recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment