Thursday, May 10, 2012

I hate that I love ketchup.

I love ketchup. Always have. It's been said that french fries, to me, are merely a vehicle to deliver the sweet red condiment to my mouth. The proportion of ketchup to ketchup delivery vehicle often borders on obscene, but it would be unladylike to just eat it with a spoon, right? But as much as I enjoy the tomato based condiment, every fiber in my being also thinks it's disgusting. The concentrated, mass produced, high fructose corn syrup laden variety that we've all grown up with has lost a little of it's gelatinous luster to me since I learned that one of the main ingredients is "natural flavoring." Why does a product made from vegetables need natural flavoring? Something's amiss in the kitchen if the vegetables can't naturally flavor the recipe* on their own.

But, there is hope for our palettes yet. I recently sampled two types of Sir Kensington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup and I was delighted to find this new product on the market (and available at some fantastic restaurants). Sir Kensington's Classic ketchup was hearty and full of flavor. You could actually taste the ingredients** and they were naturally sweet, marinara-like and delicious. The Spiced ketchup had a peppery kick; savory yet smooth salsa-like which complimented sweet potato or regular french fries perfectly. Both were wholesome and absolutely delicious. No aftertaste, no artificiality, nothing but naturally perfect ketchup; which makes it easy to love.

Comparing Sir Kensington's ketchup with the brand we're all used to (practically the brand which is synonymous with ketchup itself) I found the later tasted sharp, artificial, generic and saccharine. Even sitting side by side, one was oddly smooth with a high-gloss sheen and one looked real with ingredients you could see and taste. One tasted puckeringly unnatural and one tasted mouthwateringly wholesome. And after eating a meal accompanied by Sir Kensington's product I can now say that I no longer hate that I love ketchup and I can proudly say that I just love ketchup...Sir Kensington's ketchup.

*Ingredients in major ketchup brand: Tomato Concentrate from Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Onion Powder, Natural Flavoring.

**Ingredients in Sir Kensington's classic ketchup: Vine-ripened pear tomato puree, agave nectar, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, coriander, lime juice, allspice, whole onions, green onions, Dijon mustard, chipotle peppers, cilantro and Cayenne pepper.


Sir Kenstington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup
www.sirkensingtons.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That picture pretty much says it all. But you've got to taste it to believe it.

    ReplyDelete