Tuesday, December 20, 2011

When you eat as much as I do...

It's sometimes hard to take a break. But hubby and I decided that right before the holidays, when both of our offices are overwhelmed by holiday treats and candy, would be a good time to do our first ever juice cleanse. Really, we didn't put too much thought into what the process would entail--we like being healthy and figured we'd give it a go. And now that I'm half way through day one I can already see clearly just how much and why I love eating as much as I do.

The Blue Print Cleanse involves drinking 6 juices a day for 3 days and to be honest some of the juices are quite delicious. I also like the thought of putting good into my body and having bad vacate it. But all that being said, I miss food. And not because I'm hungry, which I'm not. I miss the idea of food. The ritual of food. The reward of food.

For the most part, every day of our lives can feel like a routine and for me food is the miniature vacation I can take with myself and friends 3 times (or sometimes more) a day. I relish dining. I look forward to eating. I live for food. And now, having self-imposed a mini break from eating I can pin-point so clearly what about food I love.

For me, food is more than sustenance. It's entertainment. It's art. It's reason. And it's beautiful. It's beautiful in the mundane and expected feeling I get from having my morning cereal. It's a gift during a busy work day when I take a break (even if only briefly sometimes), step away and have lunch. It's the event of my evenings - sometimes simple and quick, sometimes full of pageantry and joy. And it's the highlight of my vacations, often dictating where and when we travel.

And even though I miss food I know how much I'll enjoy it again soon. But 3 days is feeling longer than ever before.

1 comment: